Thursday, May 20, 2010

My Own Connection

Connection comes in so many ways.  Connection is the energy between people.  It is emotions felt, expressed and left crackling. It is light and love and sensitivity. I know that the root of my images is connection. And yet - I keep my own connections pretty deep.  You get glimpses of it in my photography and in talking to me.  But I am very conscious of crossing the professional line to allow the deeper glimpses of my rock star underneath. And in session today with my amazing business coach, Laura Watson I/we realized that in reining it/her in, I haven't been true to my art, to myself and most importantly, to my soul. I thought - this is a blog for my business, and though I have deviated slightly, it hasn't strayed far. And yet, my photography is art.  And art comes from the soul. If I can't show my soul as an artist - what do I have?

So - Laura challenged me to cross that line.  To smash it.  And bare my soul.  To share who I am.  I thought I would do this in a separate blog.  It felt safer and potentially less alienating. But no. It needs to be here.  Because we never know when the words we share make a difference for someone else. So here she/we are. Her name is 9er and she has come to represent the better/crazier/more interesting/ligther/artsy parts of me. I am unleashing her in hopes that people will connect with my story, emotions and more. I welcome comments and interaction.  Pass it along if you like.  I am reaching out without (in theory) fear and I hope you enjoy the ride. 
Grace and ease (below) isn't done yet. It took me 3 months to journal over the background because I was in love with the marks. I know there will be more on the other side, but wanted to share the process.

8 comments:

  1. Always knew you were a rock star. Nice to see you show it to everyone else. Grace and ease, seester.

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its never easy to put our true selves out there, open to judgement. You are and its brilliant... Proud of you, rock star!

    Margie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support my lovelies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the girl pic is brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow - thanks Sarah! Coming from you with your mad skills in portraiture, that means a ton!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone onced asked me why we spend so much time cleaning the outside of cups when the inside is what is important. Why do we not pay more attention to the inside and it's contents?

    Love what your brewing!

    J. M.

    J. M.

    Great job Jen, love what you've made in your cup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that - and I will keep brewing my cup!

    ReplyDelete
  8. and so it begins...
    great, brave choice Niner ;)

    susan

    ReplyDelete