Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Power of Photography

 
 One of the things that I love about photographing portraits the way that I do, is that moment when a person sees the images I have taken and visibly relaxes.  95% of the people that walk through my door tell me they hate being photographed or that they aren't photogenic. I always tell them that it's just that they have never been photographed properly. My approach is to be relaxed and bring out that inner energy that gives you that spark. It's not always about the perfect pose, it's about connection.  And when you find that in a person's soul, and give them a picture that they feel amazing about, you have reached a place in them where their confidence grows. Most people feel some kind of trepidation about being photographed, or seeing pictures of themselves. And the BIGGEST compliment I receive is when they not only can feel comfortable during the shoot and through the whole process, but when they LOVE the images.  This image of Carter and her DD (her nickname for him) is a reminder of that for me.  He hates cameras - so of course dating a photographer is fraught with peril.  But during this shoot he connected to the entire process and actually had fun! Years later we still talk about this moment.  It changed his perception of me, himself and photography.  That's powerful.
Here are my two favourite shots from that day. 6 years ago, but still just as fresh as the day we took them.
xo
J


No comments:

Post a Comment